IN-HOUSE REAL ESTATE COUNSEL
BH Properties is a privately held commercial real estate investment firm focused on value-add acquisitions in office, industrial, retail, and multi-family properties throughout the Western United States, along with investments in distressed debt and ground leases. The Company is vertically integrated, with offices in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston, and is able to acquire and close transactions without the need for lengthy due diligence periods. Our 30-year track-record and balance sheet allow us to move quickly and creatively, structuring acquisitions to satisfy seller needs in a highly competitive market. Today, the Company owns and operates approximately 10M square feet across 18 states.
In-house Counsel will have dual reporting responsibility to the Chairman and President along with coordinating communication with other senior department heads. This role will be highly visible and integral to the management of the Company.
In this role, you will help to further advance strategic goals, address headwinds and challenges confronted by the business, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. Constantly immersed in critical, high-level operations, you will collaborate across the Company to solve challenging problems and support our growth and progress around the western U.S., focusing on providing thorough business and legal advice to foster sound decision-making within the company.
The Company prefers candidates in greater Los Angeles.
- Participate and collaborate with Acquisition Officers and Asset Management teams on all significant transactions
- Draft and negotiate Purchase and Sale Agreements for traditional fee acquisitions, distressed debt, and bankruptcy transactions
- Draft and negotiate leases (primarily complex leases and other large space users), letters of intent, subleases, amendments, assignments, temporary license agreements, and other related leasing documents.
- Provides legal assistance and direction to the Company regarding the legal aspects of all ongoing strategic acquisitions, financing, and leasing matters.
- Act as counsel to the company in all matters with respect to the legal services being provided requiring legal review and assistance, and provides liaison with outside counsel when appropriate
- Candidate will manage the contract approval process and interact with governmental agencies and lenders as required
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain and distribute legal documents (letters of intent; leases; memoranda of lease; estoppel certificates; subordination, attornment and non- disturbance agreements, and lease amendment formats) and templates for repetitive use by Asset Management and Property Managements department, including added and alternate provisions.
- Develop and create “Policies and Procedures” for the production and handling of real estate legal documents and information derived from the documents of the Real Estate Department.
- Other special projects or assignments as required.
- Law degree and admitted in good standing with a state bar, preferably California
- Maintain the requirements for bar license by attending necessary continuing legal education courses, with a study emphasis in real estate, construction, financing, business, and corporate law.
- 5-7 years legal experience at a respected law firm in the commercial real estate department or in-house at a real estate company focused on acquisitions, leasing and compliance advising and counseling the Company in all areas of legal risk
- Experience with Bankruptcy, Re-Structuring, DIP and Stalking Horse financing and Sale Leaseback transactions
- Outstanding communication skills, including written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high activity environment, and able to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
- Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally across teams with a positive attitude that no job is too big or too small
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Proven experience managing and leading teams in growth environments
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, with a basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
We offer an excellent compensation package, an exciting opportunity, and the chance to grow and develop with a well-capitalized entrepreneurial real estate investment group. For immediate consideration please submit resume with salary expectations. Resumes submitted with salary requirements will be considered first.
About BH Properties, LLC
The Company (‘BH Properties’), privately held and founded nearly 30 years ago, is regarded as a vertically integrated real estate investment company capable of acquiring and managing a geographically and product diverse portfolio of assets quickly and efficiently through its offices in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston. The Company continues to focus on value-add transactions, distressed debt, bankruptcies, DIP and Stalking Horse transactions and ground leases. Its relationships within the real estate and finance community, lack of third-party investors, speed, and flexible closing structures to accommodate seller needs is a hallmark of the organization. Today, the Company owns and operates approximately 10M square feet across 18 states.